Outside of the aesthetic reasons people engage in exercise, there are many other overlooked health benefits that are critical to improving quality of life and long-term health. In order to receive the health benefit or the aesthetic benefit an appropriate amount of exercise work is required… It’s not a free lunch, but it also doesn’t have to cost you extreme amounts of time or energy.
Daily activity that is 30 minutes in duration, completed in one session, 2 fifteen minute bouts, or 3 ten minute bouts has numerous benefits outside of weight loss and improved appearance. Whether or not you are currently exercising you will want to pay attention to the following 10 reasons your daily grind should have some form of large muscle, rhythmic activity mixed into it.
If everyone walked for 30 minutes daily between 3-4 miles per hour it would:
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease- the number of CVD deaths per year would decrease by 30%
- Reduce the risk of type II diabetes by 58% if persons at high risk
- Reduce the risk of stroke by 24%- walking more than 3 miles per hour for 2.5 hours per week
- Reduce the risk of osteoporosis and improve bone health
- Reduce risk of breast cancer by 20% in white and African American women
- Reduce mortality with patients who have been diagnosed with breast cancer by 25%
- Reduce resting blood pressure- 120/80 and below are normal
- Reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer among overweight adults
- Reduce the risk of depression among elderly adults- 50% reduction after 4 months of exercise
- Decrease overall bodyweight and percent of body fat