- Talk to a personal trainer about your goals. Many gyms will offer this service free for new customers. Make sure that you understand how to operate the equipment so you do not get hurt.
- Look around the gym. Is the equipment new, old, or out of repair? Are the lockers clean? If you like the elliptical and they only have three, you will never be able to use them?
- Check the people in the gym. Will you be intimidated by them? Are the women wearing makeup? If you do not feel comfortable, you will not go to the gym.
- Call several gyms about their prices. Gyms can be like car dealerships. If you have them on the phone, they cannot pressure you. Check around and compare prices. The offers will depend on other gym’s offers.
- If you have children, look at the care class. Check if it is it overly expensive, dirty, or just right for your children.
- Take a look at the classes before jumping in. Some instructors are really bad and others will help you reach your goals. Make sure that you like the environment.
- How far away is the gym? If you have to drive for thirty minutes, you will not go to the gym in the evening when you are already pressed for time.
- A nice way to avoid losing lots of money is to buy a guest pass, make sure that everything is in order and then go for the longer contract.
Keep in mind that a gym membership is expensive. Determine how high your motivation is. If you have a gym membership, make exercise time me time. You will feel much better about going and look forward to it. If you do not like the gym, you will not go and it is just a loss of a lot of money. There are other ways to get your exercise, but a gym provides a lot of benefits.
If you decide to go to a gym:
- Listen to your body. No Pain: No Gain is only a statement that is true in junior high wrestling. Your body is a fine tuned machine. If something hurts then you are in trouble. If you go gung ho and hurt yourself, you are in worse shape than if you built up properly because you are more likely to quit. Just ease into the gym and enjoy yourself.
- You will not be able to gain muscle while you are dieting. However, weight training helps to boost your metabolism, mood and prevents muscle loss.
- Like everything else in life, you must show up to get the benefits. If you continue to got to the gym, everyday or every other day, you will see results